Thursday, January 25, 2007

Welcome!

My name is Kate, and I'm an aspiring book-artist. (If that sounds like I'm in a twelve-step program, well, I probably should be!) I'm very excited about my newest project. However, I can't do it alone, and I'm hoping you can help.

My book, tentatively titled Oxford and Leather, is about duality and the role of "make believe" in our lives. I'm focusing on people who live a mainstream life during the day - office workers, students, executives, retailers, parents, etc. - and who are a part of the goth subculture on their own time. I intend it to be respectful, pointed, and startling. I believe that both lifestyles are valid - two sides of one coin - and that this dual lifestyle is healthy, natural, and fun.

OAL will consist of paired photographs of a dozen or so people, one as they appear at work or school and one as they appear while "at play." These photographs will be taken by, or directed by, the subjects so that the reader sees them as they see themselves. Each subject has a great deal of artistic control.

This is where you come in.

I'm looking for volunteers to take photographs of themselves (either using a camera with timer or your choice of third-party photographer), following a loose set of guidelines, and email them to me by March 1.

If I use your photographs in my book I'll send you a copy when they're completed. (Handmade bookworks, even by less-established book-artists, are typically valued in excess of $50.)

All subjects will be identified in the book by first name and occupation (with the "daytime" image) and chosen name and role (with the "night" image). For example, I could have Jessica - Human Resources Coordinator alongside Shadow Rabbit. Third-party photographers will be credited in-text.

I've included some general guidelines for the photographs here. These are for the purposes of consistency, so that all images will physically and aesthetically fit in the book. There's also some legal-type information here that I encourage you to look at before sending me anything.

This will be an extremely limited edition - I estimate considerably fewer than 50 copies - and would not be a source of profit for me. There's no catch and no funny business. I'm a student doing this for the sake of art and exploration.

My dedicated email account for this project is oxford.and.leather@gmail.com, and I would be delighted to answer any questions you have. Please feel free to pass this link on to any friends you think might be interested.

Best wishes,
Kate

No comments: